Skip to main content

5 After Year-End Opportunities to Reduce Your 2013 Taxes

It's not too late to take action to reduce your U.S. income taxes for 2013.  Here are some post year-end tips to reduce your 2013 taxes.

Estimated Tax Payments

Paying estimated taxes, what you project you will owe, can lower the amount of the check you will write when you file your tax return.  While it won't reduce your actual income taxes it can reduce any penalty for under payment of taxes.  The estimated tax payment for the fourth quarter was due January 15th but you can still make estimated tax payments.  So you can project the amount you will owe on your taxes and send a payment in with form 1040-ES.  This can be complicated and if you need assistance I would be glad to help you as your CPA.

IRA Contributions

If you were under 50 years of age in 2013 you may be able contribute and deduct from income up to $5,500 or your taxable compensation for the year, which ever is smaller.  If you were 50 or older before 2014 your limits are higher, at $6,500 or your taxable compensation for the year and again which ever is smaller.  You have until April 15, 2014 to make your contribution. Be careful to specify to your financial adviser that the contribution is for your 2013 taxes.  

If some or all of your income is considered self-employment income, you have an additional option -- a Simplified Employee Pension (SEP) plan. You have until the due date of your tax return, including extensions, to set up and fund your SEP for 2013. In addition, you can contribute up to 25 percent of your net earnings from self-employment (backing out the contributions themselves), up to a comfortable $51,000 for 2013.

Accrual Based Business

Remember for your accrual based business you can include expenses that you incurred and were invoiced for before year-end even if they have not been paid yet.  On the other hand you also have to count income that invoiced even if you have not received it yet.

Cash Based Business

Remember too for your cash based business that any expenses you put on a credit card before year-end can be deducted in 2013.  So carefully enter your credit card transactions for 2013 into your books/accounting software.

Auto and Travel Expenses

Depending on how your vehicles have been accounted for in the past you may be able to choose between actual expenses and using the standard mileage rate to deduction your auto expenses.  In addition if you travel overnight for your business you may be able to choose between actual and per-diem expenses.  In both of these areas a little work to make sure you have records of your mileage and overnight travel may enable you to save money on your tax return.  So now is the time to review 2013 and your calander and make sure you are getting the full benefit from what the IRS allows you to deduct for your business and and un-reimbursed employee expenses.

Sometimes a little knowledge can save you some cash at tax time.  

If you want a CPA Superhero to help you leap tall building like challenges to succeed then feel free to contact me using my information below. You can have a free half hour initial consultation.

Jeff Haywood, CPA
The CPA Superhero

Follow the CPA Superhero on Twitter too at:

My posts contain general information that does not fit every situation, they are not all inclusive, and as always for your tax situation everything "depends on facts and circumstances."  In addition, the information/IRS requirements are always subject to change.  So call me to talk about your specific facts and circumstances and what you want to accomplish.

Popular posts from this blog

The Dreaded IRS Audit...The Reality

Updated May 31, 2018

There is a fear of an IRS audit.  People have heard all kinds of stories and have many ideas about what will cause an audit and how to avoid it.  For example some fear that taking a deduction that they are entitled to will make them the target of an IRS audit.  I have also heard clients say both that filing on time will prevent an audit and also that filing an extension will avoid an audit.  So what is the reality of IRS audits.  

Who gets audited and why
The IRS audits aroud 1% of tax returns they receive.  That sounds like random selection but there are things that increase your chances of selection.  Ordinary taxpayers with ordinary income and deductions if audited are usually just a random and very unlikely selection.  In fact none of my cleints that can be described this way have ever been randomly selected for an audit.  Most audits are triggered by the unusual or areas of suspect by the IRS.  The IRS itself indicates there are randomly selected audits but m…

Who Is Watching Your Business? Someone Is. Hopefully It Is You.

Who Is Watching Your Business A few employees from the office went out together for dinner and a movie. It was interesting when the charges at a local restaurant and movie theater showed up on the next business credit card bill. It was reported to me as suspicious and I took it to the owner. Upon investigation it looked like the employees from the office had charged their night out on a company credit card. But how did they do that? Had the owner given them permission? No, he had not. It was discovered that one of the accountants had, without authorization, requested an additional credit card which she used for personal expenses.

Later, at tax time, a local tax-preparer called to ask about an employee's W-2. I could not give information about an employees salary but the preparer found two things interesting. One, some one from the firm I worked for would come to him to have their taxes done rather than have them done in house. Second, the salary and of course the taxes withheld s…

Year End Tax Moves to Reduce Business Profits

Here are some tax planning strategies to help you reduce profits for the year and thus reduce the taxes you will pay you. (Keep in mind if you want to accelerate profit into this year do the opposite of the strategies listed below)

Delay Revenue If your business is an accrual basis tax reporting business delay sending out invoices until next year. For a cash basis tax reporting business delay receipt of income. You may need to call people you have already invoiced to request that they make sure you don't receive their payment before the year end. In reality they can send you a payment before year end and you could receive it after year end so this could benefit both you and your clients/customers.

Accelerate Expenses On the Expense side for an accrual basis tax reporting business make sure you enter all the bills you receive before year-end and make sure they are dated this year. For a cash basis tax reporting business pay as many bills by year-end as possible. If cash is tight m…