Is Your Passport In Jeopardy Because Of Taxes?

The U.S. government is determined to reduce the tax gap by collecting taxes owed. Their efforts are very serious and may result in your passport being revoked. What can that mean for you? It could mean that your passport will be revoked. If you are outside the U.S. this could be a serious problem for you.

I have helped clients all over the world to get into compliance with filing their tax returns and making payments on the amounts due or negotiating offers in compromise or installment agreements. Additionally, I represent taxpayers with IRS issues like collections, audits, or other issues. While my office is in Central Illinois, most of my clients are in foreign countries or other parts of the U.S. I work with clients by digitally sharing a file with tax information from my clients and my workpapers and copies of prepared tax returns. I would be happy to help you with your tax situation.

Why is your passport in jeopardy? The Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act provided for the IRS to be able to notify the State Department of taxpayers who owe taxes and enables the State Department to deny passport applications or renewals. If a taxpayer has a current passport it may even be revoked. This means that if you are living in a foreign country you may find that you are not able to leave that country even to return to the U.S..

The IRS indicated there are things you can do to avoid getting your passport revoked. They include:

  • Paying the tax debt in full
  • Paying the tax debt timely under an approved installment agreement
  • Paying the tax debt timely under an accepted offer in compromise
  • Paying the tax debt timely under terms of a settlement agreement with the Department of Justice
  • Having a pending collection due process appeal with a levy or 
  • Having a collection suspended because a taxpayer has made an innocent spouse election  or requested innocent spouse relief.
There are also other conditions under which the IRS will not notify the State Department or will reverse the certification for a taxpayer.

The point is you need to act quickly. 

If you or someone you know is in this situation, contact me using my information below to setup an appointment to discuss your situation and let's take care of this.

The CPA Superhero


Be careful when reading about tax law and its application, including my articles, because the wording and definitions are such a challenge and are influenced by writers perspective, specifically his own clients situations that he is mindful of and other situations the writer is not thinking of. The point is talk to your CPA about your situation and circumstances and don't rely on or make conclusions based on articles you read, including articles form, because concepts and definitions are not very clear, and of course, they are subject to change. Now is the time to be having discussions about your situation and developing strategies for you and your business. Again, contact me using my information above to discuss your situation. I help business owners all over the U.S. and in foreign countries with their tax returns.

bAD DEBT Expense

Hear me out please. I am going to address bad debt expense to clear up a common misconception and hopefully I can write this an understandab...